Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Fun at 7am

So, I'm actually early as I head out for work. Basil and Jenny have had their walk and are happily chewing on their "good-bye" treat. As I walk into the garage, I see a car drive by and a flash of a four-legged creature. It's Beckham, a boxer that lives nearby. He used to get out all the time but I hadn't seen him loose in over a month. Beckham and Basil hate each other so I breathe a quick sigh of relief that I just put my dogs inside.

After having lost Jenny for 15 hours recently, I couldn't, in good conscience, leave Beckham running loose without at least talking to his owner. So, I try to coax him to me with a toy, then some food...he just isn't having it. I walk to his house and the doors are wide open waiting for him to come in. I was upset that they weren't frantically searching but she came out as soon as I walked up. Her son was quickly getting dressed. Meanwhile, Beckham is dancing in and out of vehicles, chasing them and biting their tires. See, Beckham likes to play chase me so there pretty much isn't a way to win...even if you have food. I try to help for a while but I become more of a hinderance. So, I wait until the son and neighboor have his attention and I drive away. I was frustrated, trying to think of what I could do about the fact that he runs...frustrated with the owner thinking she didn't care about him enough to train him. Then I realized, shit happens. None of us are perfect. My dogs have been off leash and run up to strangers...not cool. So, I say a prayer, a prayer that Beckham stays safe and a prayer that his owner doesn't give up on him. Hopefully, he will calm as he ages. I also say a prayer for patience and understanding and hope that the next time my dogs are a problem, someone says a prayer for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home